We’ve finished building the prototype of the LinoRobot and have an understanding of how all the software and hardware fit together.
There was a few issues along the way and ill summarize what we’ve learnt:
ROS and the navigation software requires a faster machine than the current VM. Now we understand more we’re going to build ROS on the direct hardware.
The Raspberry PI doesnt have SWAP memory enabled by default and ROS ran out of memory when first starting ROS. Enable SWAP for initial ROS startup and then disabled it.
We cheated the first time by using ubiquityrobotics ROS image the first time and we’ll probably cheat again, it makes setup a lot easier 🙂
Don’t use very cheap cheap motors as they don’t give similar results and the robot goes around in circles. We bought some more expensive motors this time so hopefully they will move when we want them too.
The parts have arrived and we’re now getting started on the second robot.
This time, at the Sheffield Hardware Hackers and Makers build day, we had everything from Arduino to 3D Printers (obviously 🙂 ) and everything in between.
But first, we where reunited with our Pursa Mendel. One of the group members had taken it away to get it up and running. We can’t thank him enough for doing so! When we first started building the Mendel we always kept in mind the idea as using it as a educational tool as it was being built. But we just needed that final big push to get it running.
Below is the machine in a state almost ready to print. The X, Y and Z end stops – micro switches, needed to be re aligned because they had been knocked out of line during transit.
We where able to get the X and Y end stops re alined, but we would haft to sort the rest out on the next build evening.
– More to follow…
The Mendel 90 fixing
Within the build day we where able to get hold of some micro drill bits and other things and stuff…
After successfully removing an amount of burnt plastic from the extruder. We did this by heating up the extruder up to temperature and digging out the burnt plastic.
The first image shows the “things and stuff” bought and the second one shows the print quality after the extruder has been un blocked (how it should look).
We also had a group member bring in an Arduino robot an AAR-04. It was programmed from the Arduino IDLE. There are two motors that drive the device back and forwards and a ball bearing at the front that keeps it in line. There are also some sensors at the front of the board, just by the ball bearing, these allow the robot to stop before it hit a surface.
You can take a look at the video below of the robot working…